4 Day Freedom Walk
Let us take away the hassle out of organising your walk on the Heaphy Track.
Day 1 - Brown Hut to Perry Saddle Hut (approx. 17 km 5 hours)
Pick up at accommodation in Nelson at 7.30am and travel to Brown Hut (beginning of the track). The track gradually climbs through podocarp and beech forest to Flanagans Corner (your highest point on the track at 915m). Grand views of Aorere Valley can be seen with Mt Taranaki visible on a clear day. A gentle stroll on to Perry Saddle Hut (new in 2103), which is 880 metres above sea level and has bunk-style accommodation for 28.
Day 2 – Perry Saddle Hut to James MacKay Hut (approx. 25 km 7-8 hours)
The BIG day begins by following Perry Creek through tussock clearings and scattered beech forest until the valley widens and the open Gouland Downs can be seen sprawling towards the West Coast. The track passes the famous boot pole and gently undulates across the downs, eventually climbing gradually past Saxon Hut onto the edges of Mackay Downs. From here, there are glimpses of the mouth of the Heaphy River and the Tasman Sea. It is not long before the 28 bunk James Mackay Hut is reached, perched on a bench above the track.
Day 3 - James MacKay Hut to Heaphy Hut (approx 21 km 6-7 hours)
The track from Mackay Hut descends gradually to the Heaphy River through beech and subtropical podocarp forest to the Lewis Hut. From here the track meanders along the banks of the Heaphy River, passing giant rata trees. The 32 bunk Heaphy Hut new in 2012, your accommodation for the evening, is situated close to both river and sea.
Day 4 - Heaphy Hut to Kohaihai (approx. 17 km 5 hours)
Walk from the Heaphy Hut along a coastline studded with Nikau groves to the track’s end at the Kohaihai River. Some beach walking is possible at low tide. This is a spectacular coastal walk –one of NZ’s best day walks – to complete your Heaphy adventure. Our van with your luggage on board meets you at the Kohaihai River mouth where we transfer you either back to Nelson or to Westport to connect with onward transport connections.
$920NZ per person
- one night pre walk Hotel accommodation in Nelson (additional nights can be booked - additional costs apply)
- All transport ex. Nelson to and from the Heaphy Track - this is a personalised van service for our clients
- 3 nights’ accommodation in Department of Conservation Huts – communal bunk-style; no showers
- Excess luggage transfers from start of track to end of track – overnight pack required to be carried on track
- Available year round subject to minimum of two persons - single supplement applies for solo travellers